OTB Revival: Fun & Games & Shenanigans!

This is the random board. Want to talk about your favourite TV show, or your dog, or what you had for breakfast, or that book you're always threatening to write but never actually get around to doing so because reasons and life is more complicated than people expect, then do it here.

Moderator: cxl

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Re: OTB Revival: Fun & Games & Shenanigans!

Postby cxl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:59 am

Well, after a lot of back-and-forthing on this, I've settled on this thing.

So, the story that goes along with it... Sit yourselves down, kids, because I'm going to take y'all way back, to the distant past of 2005.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, or something like that. Work was real work, videogames were real videogames, and interns were real stupid. Myself and a few other people, coming to the conclusion that stress was a thing, and that it was real, and that it was probably dangerous, decided to take a trip into the mountains, because one guy's family owned a house up there and we were ensured it would be hours away from any form of civilisation. Peace, quiet, nature, etc. etc.

So we packed. We packed like ADVENTURERS. By which I mean we had lots of canned food, and even more cheap beer. We all met up in a nearby town, and hiked up into the mountains. It took the better part of the day to get to the place, and Larry kept singing most of the way there. The "house" wasn't much of a house... tt was this kinda log cabin thing. The "water closet" (look it up) was this shack a few dozen meters away.

So we get settled in, wipe the dust off the tables. There's this old generator outside, so we fill it with gas and get it started. It roars somewhat unnaturally, but we have power - which we use to run three laptops and a small fridge. It's the beginning of winter, so it's cold as... something really cold. We make a fire just outside the back door and half-surround it with lawn-chairs, where we can slouch, drink beer, and reheat ourselves.

Most of our days are spent stumbling through the surrounding forest on long walks, and as night falls, we'd wind our way back to the "house", play random old videogames, and sit around the fire into the wee hours of the morning. We didn't have much in the way of audio materials, but this one guy had this CD in his laptop, and so we'd end up listening to it over and over again, sipping the cheap beer and talking about things... y'know, stuff... LIFE. Gesturing madly as we tried to convey some half-formed drunken thought to our fellow half-thinking drunks.

We stayed there from June all the way through to December. By that point, all of us could probably sing that entire album from memory, and we'd all gotten shockingly good at "Unreal Tournament". Then we crossed over the mountains and headed South, for the people-watching season as tourists flocked to the beaches.

Even today, I consider this song a good one for three-AM drinking and drunken philosophising.
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Re: OTB Revival: Fun & Games & Shenanigans!

Postby cxl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 am

~~~oooOOOC
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Return to “The Off-Topic Board”