Magic Systems Working Thread

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Location: If you know, then it is likely that I know where you are.

Magic Systems Working Thread

Postby Dryhavich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:07 pm

This thread shall be used for the active discussion of systems of magic by anyone involved in our RP. We aim to receive as many interpretations and new ideas as possible so people who make characters have a plurality of opportunities to either utilize and modify existing magic systems, receive inspiration, or develop their own systems/interpretations of unused systems.
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis

Re: Magic Systems Working Thread

Postby Dryhavich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 pm

The Germanic Runes

(WIP - will be added to)

The Germanic runes fall into the fairly broad category of sigil magic that invokes aid or power from gods. Specifically, they invoke the gods of the Germanic pantheon, and take the form of letters that have phonological and cosmological significance. In Edge of Perspective's setting, the runes ultimately derive from Amenominakanushi, the progenitor of the concept of divinity, though were appropriated and taken up by Othinn and the Germanic portion of Heaven after the ǫ́ss hung himself from Yggdrasil. They arrive in a plethora of iterations depending on what era of history one studies. Accordingly, their specific meanings have changed over time, though each rune has embodied some sort of general concept that one can utilize for a variety of invocations.

Due to their divine origin, the effectiveness of runes scales both with the power of the user and their connection with the divine aspect that the rune embodies. Thus, as with most systems of magic, limits on power and skill still apply for beings that use the runes.

The runes are generally carved into a piece of wood or stone with a chisel or other pointed implement. They are most often used in conjunction with one another, since invocations of their singular, quintessential aspects would require immense skill, power, and connection with Heaven. One contemplates the aspect of the rune that they desire to manifest, and from there, a variety of rituals can be accomplished. With enough skill, one could call a combination with their mind by merely visualizing the symbols and channeling energy.

Elder Futhark Runes: Original Runic Alphabet of 24 Runes. http://www.therunesite.com/elder-futhark-rune-meanings/

Anglo-Saxon and Frisian Runes: Extension of the Elder Futhark with 4 additional Runes (Ac, Os, Yr, Ior, Ear) http://www.therunesite.com/anglo-saxon- ... -meanings/

Gothic Runes: Similar signs with variations of sign/standing of Elder Futhark, the Quairtra(Flames of a Fire) Rune is found here.
http://www.therunesite.com/gothic-runes-rune-meanings/

Medieval Runes of Healing and Magick: Eight additional Runes to worship pagan gods in secret. (Wolfsangel, Erda, Ul, Ziu, Sol, Wendhorn, Fyruedal, Wan)
http://www.therunesite.com/medieval-run ... -meanings/

Northumbrian Runes: Extension of the Anglo-Saxon Runes by Four Runes. (Cweorth, Calc, Stan, Gar)
http://www.therunesite.com/northumbrian ... -meanings/

Younger Futhark Runes: Shortening list of the Elder Futhark - essentially what the runes became in Late Iron Age Scandinavia.
http://www.therunesite.com/younger-futh ... -meanings/

Runes of the Havamal: List containing the Eighteen Charms, powerful combinations using different runes, with one serving as a base, and the other runes supporting it.
Note on this set: The eighteen Germanic runes are high forms of conceptual magic, and they can be invoked with the knowledge of how to perform them. Runes can be found in many other cultures, too, but these are among the most powerful. Again, Othinn acquired them from the quintessential god of the universe after he dedicated his form to them, hanging himself from the the Western World Tree, Yggdrasil. Few beings of the past have actually utilized this magic to its fullest extent, since the verses in the rune-magic section of the Havamal are cryptic, and their superficial meaning changed over thousands of years. Nevertheless, Othinn retains his ability to invoke these runes to their fullest extent, and a variety of terrifying spells can be weaved from these runes. To add a few final statements before these arcane carvings are introduced, the eighteen runes themselves are not limited to utilizing the power of a single rune - instead, for their fullest capability, other runes left out of the primary “eighteen” (literally 33 in total) can “support” the primary runes, and in a number of cases, a rune can have more than one primary incantation (technically, eighteen runes are not listed among the ones that invoke these powers). The effects of these runes can be rather broad, too, depending on what combinations of them are invoked. But, for sake of organization, the main effects will be recounted here.
http://www.therunesite.com/runes-of-the-havamal/
1) Fehu
Those songs I know, which nor sons of men nor queen in a king's court knows; the first is Help which will bring thee help in all woes and in sorrow and strife.

Normally, using this rune in such a way causes feelings of sadness, strife, and depression to be whisked away, replaced with feelings of comfort, purpose, and motivation. Unfortunately, Othinn knows that no one can invoke this rune properly aside from him or some other high beings, which is one of the reasons why so very many people are depressed. In another sense, Fehu is the conceptual rune of control and command, allowing Othinn his power over the other gods of Asgard, and asserting his right to rule. So, there is at least one part of this rune that is unique to Othinn.

2) Uruz
A second I know, which the sons of men must sing, who would heal the sick.

Uruz is invoked to heal wounds incurred from various sorts of attacks or debacles, be they magical or physical. Othinn uses this not only to heal his comrades or ilk, but also to heal himself.

3) Þurisaz
A third I know: if sore need should come of a spell to stay my foes; when I sing that song, which shall blunt their swords, nor their weapons nor staves can wound.

One of the most terrifying runes that Othinn can invoke is Þurisaz, which can do a number of things. Þurisaz represents things such as the very sharpness of a blade, destruction, or chaos. It can be used for incantations related to simply binding the feet of foes with the most mundane of ropes, or something far more drastic, such as sealing the capabilities of a cursed weapon, or even making impotent the physical capabilities of a being (the mention of “blunting swords” feeds greatly into this notion). Gods and powerful beings could be fettered by an incantation powered by this rune, and applying the Nauđiz or Isaz runes could add to the “stillness” created by one of these incantations. Othinn could also combine this with the Fehu rune to attempt to put an area under his control even further, instilling ideas of duty to him in the minds of the afflicted.

4) Ansuz
A fourth I know: if men make fast in chains the joints of my limbs, when I sing that song which shall set me free, spring the fetters from hands and feet.

The Ansuz rune is, essentially, the channeling medium of incantations used as a foil to the Þurisaz rune. It can be invoked to release something from physical or magical imprisonment, and often a different sort of imprisonment, too - for instance, one could be released from their duties to an individual if the right song is sung. For what it is worth, Fehu could also further empower this rune by working backwards from its original intention, or by overriding the allegiance of a previous person and instilling a sense of new duty. If combined with the Inguz rune, energy that has been stored for a long while can be released, breaking even the strongest of seals.

5) Raiþō
A fifth I know: when I see, by foes shot, speeding a shaft through the host, flies it never so strongly I still can stay it, if I get but a glimpse of its flight.

Raiþō - the rune of motion itself. If one was to witness just a smidgen of the course of a projectile, and then invoked this rune, the projectile would be stopped in its tracks. When watching the course of one’s own projectile or attack, one could also use this to make sure that it hits its intended target. If one does not catch a glimpse of a sent projectile, then the Kenaz rune could be invoked to broaden one’s own vision. Raiþō may also be used to quicken or slow the speeds of one’s own attacks, and vice versa.

6) Hagalaz
A sixth I know: when some thane would harm me in runes on a moist tree's root, on his head alone shall light the ills of the curse that he called upon mine.

Another rune with multiple strange uses would be Hagalaz. These incantations will cause opposing runes or spells to rebound back at the caster.

7) Isaz
A seventh I know: if I see a hall high o'er the bench-mates blazing, flame it ne'er so fiercely I still can save it - I know how to sing that song.

Isaz - the rune that invokes the very essence of the taking-away of heat, and the propagation of ice. True to the verse provided here, the full power of this rune can quell any fire, no matter how fiercely it burns, or even if it is divine. Furthermore, terrible spells of ice magic can be empowered by this rune, turning a summer’s day in an entire nation into a frozen tundra. Othinn’s origin in the Ice Age makes this utilization of this rune all the more frightening.

8) Geƀō
An eighth I know: which all can sing for their weal if they learn it well; where hate shall wax 'mid the warrior sons, I can calm it soon with that song.

Geƀō is the most versatile of any of the runes listed here, and perhaps of the unlisted runes, as well. A wave of “calm” can be propagated by this rune, used for a variety of different applications. In its most direct form, it can calm the ire of an entire opposing army. As Othinn points out in this verse, anyone could invoke this incantation with proper practice. Individuals such as Väinämöinen certainly know how to sing it, while the skalds and bards of mortals could potentially learn it, too. The Wunjo rune, which represents balance, friendship, and joy, could turn the calm feelings into those of joy if used in combination with this usage of Geƀō.

9) Geƀō (2)
A ninth I know: when need befalls me to save my vessel afloat, I hush the wind on the stormy wave, and soothe all the sea to rest.

Moving forward from simple emotional calming, the Geƀō rune can quell even the strongest winds of the Earth or that which is conjured by mages.

10) Dagaz
A tenth I know: when at night the witches ride and sport in the air, such spells I weave that they wander home out of skins and wits bewildered.

Dagaz is a very strange rune, not in the least because of the odd verse given here. “Harmful” witches and sorcerers would be driven from the caster if one was to invoke Dagaz, since Dagaz attracts “good” forms of magic towards the user, and “evil” forms away from them. This is not the only thing Dagaz could do, however, for it can inspire extreme confusion in anyone it is cast against. Amnesia-like symptoms could be found in one who stepped in the way of one of these incantations.

11) Sowilō
An eleventh I know: if haply I lead my old comrades out to war, I sing 'neath the shields, and they fare forth mightily safe into battle, safe out of battle, and safe return from the strife.

The Sowilō rune is a rune of sheer power, its very meaning representing the sun itself. Othinn channels the powers of the sun far more than even Sol herself, fueling much in the way of highly destructive magic. Similar to the Isaz rune with regards to power, this magic can reach such severity that entire countries could be laid waste to. In this given invocation, Sowilō will provide this power in the form of protection to Othinn’s comrades in war, helping to make sure that they not only win, but survive the entire ordeal.

12) Hagalaz (2)
A twelfth I know: if I see in a tree a corpse from a halter hanging, such spells I write, and paint in runes, that the being descends and speaks.

The second application of Hagalaz is Othinn’s pride and joy - the control of the dead. This application is extremely specific to him, since invoking it will put the fate of the dead in the hands of Othinn himself. Othinn can raise the dead and let them speak to him, their physical bodies bound to him for a time. If Hel, the Death Goddess of Northwestern Europe, judges one to have died in battle and in Othinn's favor as a virtuous person, the spirit and body of the corpse fall under the jurisdiction of Othinn after the other warriors are chosen by Freyja. After this, they are released to him and him alone, and Hel cannot take them back, for the additional power of the Tiwaz rune prevents this. The fragmented nature of the celestial planes makes it all the more useful to use an invocation such as this one, since there is little binding one’s spirit to anything else once one dies.

13) Geƀō (3)
A thirteenth I know: if the new-born son of a warrior I sprinkle with water, that youth will not fail when he fares to war, never slain shall he bow before sword.

Geƀō’s “gifting” nature is expressed in this invocation, with granting a warrior magical protection by means of water.

14) Eihwaz
A fourteenth I know: if I needs must number the Powers to the people of men, I know all the nature of gods and of elves which none can know untaught.

Eihwaz, the old yew tree, represents knowledge in the highest form. Celestial knowledge is what it embodies, and in its most blatant usage, gives Othinn the knowledge of the ways of most, if not all, celestial and worldly beings that have existed.

15) Sowilō (2)
A fifteenth I know, which Folk-stirrer sang, the dwarf, at the gates of Dawn; he sang strength to the gods, and skill to the elves, and wisdom to Odin who utters.

A second invocation of Sowilō is unique to Othinn, in his exceedingly old age. The power of the Aesir is maintained via this rune, as well as that of the elves.

16) Kaunan
A sixteenth I know: when all sweetness and love I would win from some artful wench, her heart I turn, and the whole mind change of that fair-armed lady I love.

Kaunan is the rune of understanding, clarity, and learning. Oddly enough, one would not expect such a thing to be used for enticing love, but the notions of understanding, clarity, and learning factor greatly into the concept that is love. Thus, one of the applications of the Kaunan rune is to attract a lover.

17) Geƀō (4)
A seventeenth I know: so that e'en the shy maiden is slow to shun my love.

The last attested use of the Geƀō rune in the Havamal to uphold the romance and fidelity in a marriage. In Othinn’s case, this is applicable to himself and Frigg.
18) Nauđiz + Ōþalan
An eighteenth I know: which I ne'er shall tell to maiden or wife of man save alone to my sister, or haply to her who folds me fast in her arms; most safe are secrets known to but one - the songs are sung to an end.

Othinn’s last “song to sing” is really a combination of two runes - Nauđiz and Ōþalan. Such a combination is quite terrifying on various scales, and it does not apply to physical magic. Instead, the combination of these two runes destroys the necessity for family ties or ancestral bonds, no matter how great or small the necessity was in the first place. The elimination of inherited powers, wealth, thoughts, or even genetics could be perpetrated by this horrid magic, in addition to leaving someone a social outcast among friends or family. Othinn is wise to say that the safest secrets are only known to one, and perhaps it is for the best that he has custody of these runes.

(Interpretation by Dryhavich)
Original Combinations of Runes:

This list will contain possible
combination of runes for certain effects or rituals.

Naudhiz + Gebo + Kaun (Prevent one to receive effective help or assistance due to a wound. The Gebo rune also help the curse spreading to other people would they get too close to the target.)
Ac + Stan + Thurisaz (Takes advantage of the natural power and growth of an enemy’s body, immobilizes an area, and secures that area while it grows uncontrollably. Can cause body parts to explode or cancer to form.)

Dagaz + Fyruedal + Uruz (Enrage the target of the curse, forcing a berserk state on him and preventing him from focusing.)

Ansuz + Othala + Wendhorn (Forces someone into submission by imbuing them with the idea that they have been their property since they were born. Also makes the situation appear realistically in one’s mind, such that a balance of good and bad feelings are present.)

Ac + Inguz + Ziu (Gather power and release it in a massive thunderbolt.)
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis

Corded Ware Culture (?) Magic

Postby Dryhavich » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Corded Ware Culture (?) Magic

Please see link to google doc. This is a WIP document detailing how Northeastern European native folk might use their magic in EoP's setting. This shall be available as a resource for what sort of abilities a person may exhibit if their magic is from the RSA, Soviet Union, parts of the Grossdeutches Reich, and the Hanseatic League.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iMo ... sp=sharing
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76

Return to “General Discussion”