Kancolle Canon Working Thread

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Kancolle Canon Working Thread

Postby cxl » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:57 am

This is for discussion regarding the kantai collection canon as it pertains to the setting of EoP.
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Combined fleet backstory stuff

Postby cxl » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Since I plan to be working on the wiki pages for the combined fleet, and the first engagement with the abyssals, I need some input from the community (specifically, those of you who play boats) so that some of the backstory things can be hashed out. This would also be the place to ask questions about these things, so if you want further information, have at it, and if an answer exists, it will hopefully be provided. Now, onto the matter at hand (because the matter at foot can be put off until later):

Fleet backstory.

Thus far, fairly little has actually been determined on this subject - we have established that there are five fleets (Atlantic, 1st Pacific, 2nd Pacific, 3rd Pacific, and 4th Pacific), and where the pacific fleets are stationed. However, we have no real timeline of events, and very little information on the fleets themselves, other than who leads them and what ships they have. Thus far, I've only really established that the 4th fleet handles logistics and coordination, and that its admiral has some duties pertaining to coordinating the overall strategy in the pacific.

A big part of determining further information about the fleets and when they were established, is to determine in which order the various ships were "resurrected" - and unfortunately I haven't been keeping track of when the characters were actually taken, so this is something that we're all going to have to figure out together, which brings me to my second point: The battle of the sargasso sea, a.k.a the first engagement against the abyssal fleet.

Now, some small amount of backstory (as established thus far): The combined fleet is not a part of any national military, and most nations are not, in fact, aware of the existence of boat-people, or abyssals (the former would be strange, and the latter would probably cause some kind of mass panic). The fleet was established following the first known abyssal activity in the north sea, and later that same year, Admiral von Thannhausen commanded a force of around 15 kanmusu in the battle of the sargasso sea. The lessons learned from this engagement were key to the establishing of the combined fleet as it exists today, as well as informing much of its organisational and operational doctrine.

Now, being part of that initial fleet would imply a few things with regards to those ships' backstories: They'd be the closest thing the combined fleet has to veterans, they would know a bit more about the organisation of the combined fleet and its history, and they would also have met the current supreme commander of the combined fleet (Kasimir von Thannhausen) , and possibly some of the people involved in its organisation. They might also potentially have some measure of seniority or be afforded some measure of respect (at least from those who know about the battle). Now, this would have been a fairly unplanned action, and would have literally involved the first complete fleet that could be put together thrown against a completely unknown enemy in order to stop them from (most probably) bombing florida and causing an international incident. The exact details of this fleet's organisation, training, and preparation has yet to be determined, so again, input on this would be appreciated.

Currently, we have determined that included in that initial fleet were:
  • The carriers Enterprise, Akagi, and Kaga.
  • The battleship Nevada.
  • The battlecruiser Hood.
  • The light cruiser Agano.
  • The destroyers Yuudachi and Harusame.

Of those, the Nevada, Agano, and Harusame were all sunk during the battle (all of them can currently be found in RP as abyssal ships). The rest of the fleet presumably all survived, and tactically the battle can be considered a victory (seeing as the abyssals were successfully driven off, and no international incident ended up taking place).

This means that the roster for that initial fleet is around half full, and we need a further 5-7 ships. This is where you, dear reader, come in: For the low, low price of "posting in this here thread" (or telling me or Firefluff about it on IRC) you can have one of your characters involved in this little bit of setting-backstory (if you want - participation is optional, and the admins have more than enough ships between them to fill out the roster if need be).

As stated above, questions, comments, suggestions, etc. are all welcome.
Last edited by cxl on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Poi
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Location: If you know, then it is likely that I know where you are.

Re: Kancolle Canon Working Thread

Postby Dryhavich » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:14 am

I'm not readily in the know about either Kancolle or the current status of the Kancolle RP-ing, though I definitely have a question:

Around a month ago, we discussed the idea about how the shipgirls of the Hanseatic League is not necessarily a political entity of its own, but more of an agreement between different factions in the RP to combat a common seaborne threat. In working on the backstories, can we also elaborate on how that happened, too? What was the nature of that agreement? This has the potential for a lot of interesting things. Sorry if this is too broad a question/suggestion or if these things have already been answered to those involved, but I'm starting to get interested in what's going on in the Kancolle side of things myself.

*le gasp*
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Postby cxl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:36 am

Dryhavich wrote:I'm not readily in the know about either Kancolle or the current status of the Kancolle RP-ing, though I definitely have a question:

Around a month ago, we discussed the idea about how the shipgirls of the Hanseatic League is not necessarily a political entity of its own, but more of an agreement between different factions in the RP to combat a common seaborne threat. In working on the backstories, can we also elaborate on how that happened, too? What was the nature of that agreement? This has the potential for a lot of interesting things. Sorry if this is too broad a question/suggestion or if these things have already been answered to those involved, but I'm starting to get interested in what's going on in the Kancolle side of things myself.

*le gasp*

Yes, the combined fleet is a distinct organisation within EoP's setting, and not a subsection or organisational unit within any of the other factions. This is due to two distinct factors that between them make it impossible to operate the combined fleet as an actual part of one of the existing factions.

Firstly, none of the factions actually maintains anything approaching a standing military. What security forces they do maintain are far more limited in scope, and have completely different operational doctrine that would make it difficult for them to adapt to managing a large scale war effort. (The exact nature of the factions' security forces and how they operate would be better elaborated in the other thread).

Secondly, a military buildup to the degree that one of the factions would be capable of directly operating and servicing a fleet of warships, would likely have significant political consequences, and probably end up leading to an arms race that would ultimately be far more damaging than the actions of the abyssal fleet.

Lastly, in a meta sense, having the fleet operating as its own organisation generally avoids dragging in a lot of the baggage that would come with having it be part of one of the factions directly, as that would likely end with most of the time and effort going into playing politics.

As for the actual agreement that established the combined fleet as its own organisation, it was probably negotiated soon after the battle of the sargasso sea, as at that time the fleet was entirely under the control of the Hanseatic League, but they would not have been able to expand it to any great degree without incurring the aforementioned political problems. The exact nature of the agreement is something that hasn't been determined yet, but a few things are known, or can be assumed from what has been determined:

• Due to the operational regions, most of the non-boat personnel are probably drawn from the Hanseatic League and Qingcheng Order, or their affiliates in those regions (It is known that they recruit from outside sources as well - Admiral Yamamoto was formerly an officer in the JMSDF). There is likely some part of the agreement that covers this.
  • The combined fleet generally operates with complete autonomy, so it can be assumed that they don't answer to anyone from any of the other factions, at least not directly. At the command level, however, they likely do liase with representatives from the various factions. To what degree information is exchanged, and what demands each side can make of the other, is probably covered in the agreement.
  • Most of the agreement probably covers noninterference in the fleet's operations, and the logistical support that signatories to the agreement are bound to provide (for instance, a certain amount of raw materials per year, or the shipping of said resources to various bases).
  • The last thing the agreement probably covers is the actual containment of the abyssal threat, and the contingency plans that may be put in place in the event of a breach of said containment (in order to prevent an embarrassingly public incident from occuring).

That's basically all the thought I have put into this subject thus far. Of course, if anyone does have further suggestions or other relevant information, then I'd be open to hearing it and, if possible, including it.
Patches

Postby Patches » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:50 am

I'm going to jump in on this thread and post the rough working fleets, so we have something to refer to while we work on advancing the plotline.

Fleet One: (Truk)
Kongou, Hiei, Kirishima, Haruna (Sunk), Souryuu, Hiryuu, Akagi (FS), Kaga, Ushio, Nagatsuki, Ooyodo, Akashi. | Musashi (ded?)

Fleet Two: (Palau)
Shoukaku, Zuikaku, Taihou, Nagato (FS), Hibiki, Inazuma, Ikazuchi, Akatsuki, Chokai, Jun'you, Ooi, Kitakami, Amagi and Unryuu.

Fleet Three: (Marshall_Islands)
Mutsu (FS), Tenryuu, Hatsuharu, Katori, Ryuujou, Fusou, Ise, Yuudachi, Tama (ded?), Mutsuki, Ashigara, Tokitsukaze.

Fleet Four: (Kuril)
I-19, Taigei, U-511, I-401, Akitsu-Maru, Hyuuga, Bismark, Yamato, Kiso (FS), Yamashiro.

Not in a fleet, OC, (Hansa Squad?) Kamzeira Winter (SP?)
Admiral of the fourth bullshit battleship fleet. Murakumo is love. Kirishima is love. Chokai is love. I am Patchouli.
Patches

Postby Patches » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:12 am

Add Eugene to Fleet Four.
Admiral of the fourth bullshit battleship fleet. Murakumo is love. Kirishima is love. Chokai is love. I am Patchouli.

Return to “General Discussion”