We've got a pretty well-developed Gensoukyou at this point, in my opinion. While there are still a few crucial characters missing from various places, we've got many of our bases covered, a wiki that grows more and more full by the day, even the Outside World has been given far more attention than most Touhou-based RPs would even care to give to it. However, there is one place within Gensoukyou's walls that is significantly less developed, perhaps outright ignored except in passing as of late despite having several notable characters being taken by active members of our community.
Of course, I'm talking about Makai.
A world created by Shinki-no-Mikoto with a portal between it and Gensoukyou not far from the Hakurei Shrine. It houses a large number of demons of varying power, including Mai, Yuki, Yumeko, Gengetsu, Sara, Louise, and YuugenMagan, and has a powerful miasma in the air that can be deadly to non-residents. There exists unusual terrain, such as crystalline forests, the Frozen Fields, and thriving cities of demonkind without a human in sight. A good chunk of the canon characters that reside in Makai (or previously did) are taken by various members, myself included, and they've all been given time to RP and develop themselves over time. But not within Makai itself. All of these characters have gotten excuses to go into Gensoukyou, or someplace else, leaving the demon realm relatively untouched and undeveloped. What we currently have on the wiki to show what we've done with Makai is a horribly outdated page with barely any information on it.
The aim of this thread is to do something about that, because we have enough relevant characters that Makai should probably not be just flat-out ignored like it seems to be.
I'd like to address a few questions in this thread, if possible, and I encourage anyone with an opinion on the matter to post their thoughts here and help Makai stop being just...there.
1. What can be expanded upon based on what we know of Makai?
1a. What can be expanded upon based on what has occurred in Makai, both in the games and in backstories of the characters that had something to do there?
2. What reasons could be given to get people to go to Makai?
3. How can we get Makai more involved in the Edge of Perspective continuity?
If anyone has any other questions that should be added for consideration, please post them as well.
There are a few people who I absolutely would love to hear opinions from in this thread especially.
1. Plushy. Reason: He RPs Shinki. I really shouldn't need to explain this any farther.
2. null. Reason: Kageki is the king of Makai and interacts with Shinki on a regular basis. Additionally, the character's backstory is also very much tied to Makai itself.
3. Noctis. Reason: She's the setting GM. Of course, I don't mean to rush her to dispense thoughts on this thread, so she can take her time and look over this thread once she feels she's ready to return.
4. Firefluff. Reason: He RPs Yumeko, who is more or less Shinki's right hand demon.
Of course, that doesn't mean I ONLY need their opinions, I would ideally like to hear from as many people as possible and hope to better Edge of Perspective as a whole as a result. I will need some time to formulate my own thoughts on the matter, as at the time of writing, I have only a few minutes before I need to leave. I just want to throw these questions out there and get people thinking about Makai, because if we can go the extra mile and develop original locations like Daraku no Rakuen or even the Outside World, I feel there's no reason we can't give Makai some critical thought.