Questions with Lioncow, Ep.1: Boring RP?

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

Should the RP be more open to changes?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:09 am

Yes
64%
No
7%
Perhaps
29%

Total votes: 14
Bai Ze
All Knowing Lioncow
All Knowing Lioncow

Questions with Lioncow, Ep.1: Boring RP?

Postby Bai Ze » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 am

'lo, ladies an' gents, boys an' girls, beasts an' buffoons. Lioncow here, askin' the tough questions and givin' the tougher answers, but at least doin' so with a smile. :3

So, I been hearin' the craziest stuff about dismal situations lately, and it seems to me right odd that anythin' should be dismal 'round here, given what that we've got this whole creative doin'-whut-ever-we-so-please-thank-ye-very-much-m'lad thing goin' on. But, y'can't please all the people all the time or you end up pleasin' none of the people none of the time, so's I was gon' peep things out 'round here and get a feel for the lay of the land, so to speak.

The question for today is the followin': Is RP borin' around here?

Now, the most honourable-and-drunk Chandra puts it thusly: "Really, nothing happens 90% of the time, and even when something does happen it's effectively meaningless because the status quo will just reassert itself with the dawning of a new day, so any effort spent becomes effort wasted."
('course, it wasn't quite so eloquent about it - there was much more cursin' and wavin' of hands, but I feel it's a point well made, all the same)

So, let's do a spot o' ponderin' here: Is that true, or does it just seem to be true because we're lookin' at the wrong places?

There's two bits to this bob, so let's chop 'em up and look at 'em one by one. The first is that question of nothin' happening. Now, I read logs from time to time because I ain't here too much, but it does seem as though people spend an awful lot of time in the OOC channel talkin' about what they could be talkin' about doin', which is a right pity as talking leads to meetings and meetings lead to suits and suits lead to TIES and then you get choked by your own clothin' and you die. So let's not, yeah? (Saying we did is optional)

The other thing is the matter of dynamicismness, which may or may not be an actual word, but it's one I'm'a use anyway, so deal. Some people like their RPs to be mostly static things, without all that much changin', but it does get borin' for those of us who've done it a few hundred thousand times before, but while this all sounds real major like, it really ain't - the distinction is one of how much the world *feels* dynamic, even if it ain't really. Now dynamic, aside from bein' a thing most companies like to see 'emselves as, is also a word referrin' to things moving, so let's find out how mobile things are, in the best way - by askin' questions on online message boards! ;3

So I'm'a ask y'all this: How open are y'all to changes in the RP - could war break out, friends become enemies, and enemies become lunch? Could the SDM get destroyed, and not in a "it's rebuilt by tomorrow because lolhax" sense, in a "now the residents need a new home" sense? Could the human village fall into a sinkhole because someone dug out all the ground beneath it? Could, if people don't pay enough attention and don't get off their collective arses to stop it, Gensoukyou's barrier pop like a soap bubble?

Yes?

No?

Perhaps?

Y'all let me know, 'k?
((lambda (lambda) `(,lambda ',lambda)) '(lambda (lambda) `(,lambda ',lambda)))
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Questions with Lioncow, Ep.1: Boring RP?

Postby cxl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Unequivocal yes and anyone who thinks otherwise should do us all a favour and beat themselves in the head with their keyboard until they fall into a permanent vegetative state and/or die.
Last edited by cxl on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding more anger
flarp22
Magician
Magician

Postby flarp22 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm generally open to the idea to change, but I can't say I've directly partaken in any sort of incident/event in any RP that was of any kind of "dire or high risk" nature*. I'm a little shaky on the idea, but hey, lots of things are worth trying at least once, in my opinion.

*I don't think I should count the recent corruption incident because all Mai did was be a glorified bodyguard.

e: 'sides, if it doesn't work out, we can always just return to the current norm after wrapping up whatever might already be in progress.
ashleywr
Militia Volunteer
Militia Volunteer

Postby ashleywr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I agree with Noctis. Changing the status quo too much makes me iffy. I like the characters how they are, for the most part, and forcing giant changes on them like death of themselves or close friends is not something I really want to deal with. I like plots to be things like you see in the games and manga, where things happen, we discover more about Japanese and other lore and folktales and how they relate to Gensoukyou. I like personal relationships, and friendships and people getting mad at each other and then learning to get along. Some amount of danger is fine, but too much and I get stressed and not want to play. Just my opinion.
Plushy
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Plushy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Whereas a constant risk of character death, or risk of the world being changed suddenly is a bit nerve grating, I personally find RPs where nothing much ever changes a tad boring at times. As a compromise of sorts, that I myself would be more than willing to accept (which is what I gathered form Lioncow's post.) is a world where things have a chance to change over time, for the worst, or for the better, as opposed to something "Oh, you didn't defuse the bomb! Gensoukyou's in ruins!". Just keep things within reason, and I myself have no qualms. Start dropping world-changers everywhere, I may start to have problems.
"Never forget your past, but don't let it hurt your future"
- I like to say that I said it, but I'm honestly unsure.
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:04 am

I already participate in moderately risky plot pretty often, so I'm fine how things are standing right now. I mean, I just blew up Marisa's house, which is kinda a big deal. Sure, Marisa didn't die (yet), but it does open up a few possibilities.
Marisa ☆ Yoshika ☆ Kogasa
Azami Zatsusei ☆ Hikari Kazeka ☆ Jade Suishohi ☆ Kioku Danpen
Tama

Return to “General Discussion”