Character Feedback

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

Firefluff
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Location: Somewhere I probably shouldn't be. When I'm not there, you can find me on the IRC

Character Feedback

Postby Firefluff » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 am

Right, so here is a list of all the people and their characters. The point of this is to look through and give the writers feedback on how well (or badly) you think they are playing their characters. You don't have to comment on everyone's, but go ahead and post your feedback here. If you aren't on here, or if I missed one of your characters, let me know and I'll fix it right away.

Firefluff: Youmu Konpaku, Byakuren Hijiri, Shinmyoumaru Sukuna, Momiji Inubashiri, Flandre Scarlet, Kareru Mayou, Saiseibai Kuchinawa, Suika Ibuki, Tenma, Cupid, Shiko-onseiku, Hieda no Akyuu, Kujakukoukotsu no Kuusoushiki/Guanshiyin

Marine: Fujiwara no Mokou, Nue Houjuu, Patchouli Knowledge, Sakuya Izayoi, Sariel, Chinatsu no Ayaka, Alice Margatroid

Noctis: Remilia Scarlet, Wakasagihime, Koakuma, Yukari Yakumo, Rinraku no Chamena Ko, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Keine Kamishirasawa, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Kitakaze no Haruko

cxl: Zhuge Lin, Amenominakanushi, Takamuko no Yoriyasu, Takamuko no Hokkyokuseihime, Reimu Hakurei, Yuuka Kazami, Mima, Kagerou Imaizumi, Kikuri, Namonaki, Xiangdeng Tiandao, The Horned Cat, Makoto Rinbayashi, Piaoliushangxieyangyunshangsheng, Hyakumonogatari no Seitoukai, Yumemi Okazaki

null: Sunyata, Rinraku no Youjin Kageki, Saras Couesii, Fumei Ganmen, Kemuri, Kokeko Inuhouou, Eiki Shiki Yamaxanadu, Rinnosuke Morichika, Ludivine Arcenaile, Nosuri Nuppefuho, Shidare Korougi, Kashikoi Harionna, Yuugen Magan, Seija Kijin

NekoRex: Azami Zatsusei, Kogasa Tatara, Marisa Kirisame, Hikari Kazeka, Yoshika Miyako, Shibata no Ono+Current Owner

Miko: Toyosatomimi no Miko, Seiga Kaku, Raiko Horikawa

Plushy: Satori Komeiji, Cirno, Yamame Kurodani, Chen Yakumo, Rikako Asakura, Shinki-no-Mikoto

Pirate: Koishi Komeiji, Parsee Mizuhashi, Honjou Shiren, Tenshi Hinanawi, Sanae Kochiya

Ayakashi-san: Saigyou Ayakashi, Shou Toramaru, Miyu Shirosawa, Utsuho Reiuji, Gengetsu, Suwako Moriya, Kuroyama no Akane

Charles: Charles Lightmagnus

Grand Admiral Absent (Bai Ze): The Bai Ze, Suiki

Rosette: Rosette Garand, Akumu Honda, Meira Tanaka

Flarp: Mai, Kosuke, Hong Meiling, Ruukoto

GiasWitch: Rumia

Dormouse: Nazrin, Luna Child, Soga no Tojiko

Setvilioux: Rika, Yuki, Amaya Kuroku

Nazeo: Nazeo Aelko Nezen, Kotohime, Lily White, Elly

Ashleywr: Reisen Udongein Inaba, Ran Yakumo
Last edited by Firefluff on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Re: Character Feedback

Postby NekomimiRex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Hmmmm, the only real criticism I can come up with is that our Okuu is played a bit too "forgetful klutz" quite often. Okuu is either a nice person or serious and scary, but I've never seen the latter, and the former tends to be obfuscated by the above problem a lot of the time. Of course, there are times when it makes sense, like when Okuu is roped into some random fight or task, but it's otherwise just a bit of a problem.

I guess the only other thing off the top of my head is that I feel like Marine plays Patchy a bit too much like an author avatar. It's not so obvious with her other characters, but with Patchy it's kind of easy to see "grumpy Marine" being channeled through the character a lot of the time. Kind of a hard criticism to address (or fix), but I dunno what else I could say or do. I guess Sakuya could be a bit nicer as well.

There are a few other things. I've never actually seen a lot of these characters played, that's a problem in itself, but that mostly pertains to people with loads of characters (Firefluff, Noctis, and null come to mind with this problem, although there are minor ones like Cirno and Kasen's characters that aren't seen often enough)

I guess it's compliments I don't have to nitpick on much else. Suika is played pretty well (there's an obvious "smarter then she looks" quality about her too), I like the play of Satori, Futo, definitely Nue, Rumia, Koishi, Shou, Reisen, Eirin since technically Tree-tan also "runs" her, definitely cxl's characters... these are all canons I've seen recently, though.
Marisa ☆ Yoshika ☆ Kogasa
Azami Zatsusei ☆ Hikari Kazeka ☆ Jade Suishohi ☆ Kioku Danpen
Tama
null
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Postby null » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 pm

NekomimiRex wrote:I guess the only other thing off the top of my head is that I feel like Marine plays Patchy a bit too much like an author avatar. It's not so obvious with her other characters, but with Patchy it's kind of easy to see "grumpy Marine" being channeled through the character a lot of the time. Kind of a hard criticism to address (or fix), but I dunno what else I could say or do. I guess Sakuya could be a bit nicer as well.

Likewise, Sunyata is "silly null", Kageki is "grumpy nulll", Fumei is "mysterious null", Shikieiki is "admin null", Kashikoi is "athletic null", Kemuri and Saras are both "sickeningly cute null".

Regarding any measure of relevance, Shinki does seem a bit out of character, going by what PC-98 has of her. Oh well.
"An honest scowl over a dishonest smile, expressive ranting over silent fuming; for if you let a person go on thinking they are pleasing you, then all they'll learn is how to annoy you more."

Firefluff
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Location: Somewhere I probably shouldn't be. When I'm not there, you can find me on the IRC

Postby Firefluff » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Regarding any measure of relevance, Shinki does seem a bit out of character, going by what PC-98 has of her. Oh well.

Yes, I have to agree with this. She seems a bit too...Kawaii?
Marine

Postby Marine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 am

I guess the only other thing off the top of my head is that I feel like Marine plays Patchy a bit too much like an author avatar. It's not so obvious with her other characters, but with Patchy it's kind of easy to see "grumpy Marine" being channeled through the character a lot of the time. Kind of a hard criticism to address (or fix), but I dunno what else I could say or do. I guess Sakuya could be a bit nicer as well.

Let's see here.

- Patchouli is much older than me, and is also British. I am not.
- Patchouli is actually fairly easier to work with than I am. She's also very prone to business, and I would rather just not deal with people half the time.
- I don't know magic or work in a library or scream bloody murder when I see blonde-haired-girls in witch outfits.

- Yes, she is a sort of avatar for me here on the forums and wiki, but that's because she's an information-keeper and literature freak. It makes logical sense given my job.

Also, can you say that you've never channeled your own moods or emotions into a character? My knowledge-craving side helps feed Patchouli, my mischievous and nasty and malicious side feeds Nue, my loyal-to-a-fault side feeds Sakuya, and so on, and so forth.
When you decide to take a canon and start fleshing them out, you are putting investment, work, and time into them.

Patchouli is not modeled after myself. My own snarkiness can echo fairly well in her voice, but then again, my own bad mood and dark humor can show up in Sakuya or Nue. Yet I don't see you pointing them out.

Additionally, there's the whole "Seiga Nyan Nyan" thing that you do with Yoshika. Given your interests, I'm starting to suspect more and more that you took her just for that stupid pun, because I rarely, if ever, see her roleplayed.

Also, Sakuya is a downright jerk in the games. Read: EoSD St. 5 dialogue (vs. Marisa), PCB St. 2 boss dialogue, PCB EX Stage dialogue, and a lot of her Imperishable Night dialogue -- she's pretty sassy and mean towards almost anyone who isn't mansion folk. My Sakuya is the same -- she doesn't care much for people who she doesn't know on a first-name basis and genuinely care for. Anyone else is, to her, more or less irrelevant, and may even be useful to attain what she wants. There are a couple of people outside the SDM that she gets along decently with (she doesn't mind Yuyuko and Youmu, off the top of my head), and tends to be very pleasant in a proper meeting of situation. Yes'm.

Anyways.. I can't particularly think of any characters to say much about as of right now, besides "this character really needs to be played more!" or "this character is played very well!" and so on and so forth. Time will tell, I suppose.
Firefluff
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Firefluff » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 am

Marine: Fujiwara no Mokou, Nue Houjuu, Patchouli Knowledge, Sakuya Izayoi, Sariel, Chinatsu no Ayaka

Mokou: I haven't really played with her much.
Nue: Nue is yes-good, kick over all the things!
Sakuya: Yes-good
Sariel: Yes-good.
Ayaka: I haven't seen her yet.

Noctis: Remilia Scarlet, Wakasagihime, Koakuma, Yukari Yakumo, Rinraku no Chamena Ko, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Keine Kamishirasawa, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Kitakaze no Haruko

Remilia: Yes-good.
Wakasagihime: I haven't seen her yet.
Koakuma: Haven't seen much of her yet.
Yukari: Yes-good
Chamena Ko: She's so cute! Yes-good.
Yuyuko: Yes-good. Although, I do think that she could send Youmu out to do silly things more often.
Keine: I haven't played with her much.
Mamizou: From the one or two times I did play with her, I thought you did a pretty good job.
Haruko: I'll probably never see this character.

cxl: Zhuge Lin, Amenominakanushi, Takamuko no Yoriyasu, Takamuko no Hokkyokuseihime, Reimu Hakurei, Yuuka Kazami, Mima, Kagerou Imaizumi, Kikuri, Namonaki, Xiangdeng Tiandao, The Horned Cat, Makoto Rinbayashi, Piaoliushangxieyangyunshangsheng, Hyakumonogatari no Seitoukai

Lin: Sleeeepy Tanuki. Not much to say for this character.
Amenominakanushi: I haven't even seen this character.
Yoriyasu: Not a bad character, fun to talk official village stuff with, a responsible leader type person.
Hokkyokuseihime: N/A
Reimu: Yes, good.
Yuuka: N/A
Mima: Yes, good.
Kagerou: N/A
Kikuri: N/A
Namonaki: You should bother Hakugyokurou more with this character.
Tiandao: Fun to faff around with.
Cat: N/A
Makoto: N/A
Piaoliushangxieyangyunshangsheng: Weird but good.
Seitoukai: N/A

null: Sunyata, Rinraku no Youjin Kageki, Saras Couesii, Fumei Ganmen, Kemuri, Kokeko Inuhouou, Eiki Shiki Yamaxanadu, Rinnosuke Morichika, Ludivine Arcenaile, Nosuri Nuppefuho, Shidare Korougi, Kashikoi Harionna, Yuugen Magan

Sunyata: Not bad.
Kageki: Also not bad.
Saras: Darn adorable.
Fumei: A neat character idea, you could probably stand with using this guy more.
Kemuri: Moe enenra.
Kokeko: N/A
Eiki: yes good.
Rinnosuke: N/A
Ludivine: N/A
Nosuri: N/A
Shidare: Haven't seen much.
Kashikoi: N/A
Yuugen Magan: N/A

NekoRex: Azami Zatsusei, Kogasa Tatara, Marisa Kirisame, Hikari Kazeka, Yoshika Miyako

Azami: This character should probably learn that attacking random people isn't the best way to go, unless you're doing that on purpose, in which case...well, okay.
Kogasa: N/A
Marisa: You do play this character fairly well, at least from what I have seen.
Hikari: N/A
Yoshika: Have you done anything as this character yet? All I see you do is yell 'Seiga Nyan Nyan' a lot.

Miko: Toyosatomimi no Miko, Seiga Kaku

Miko: SHOULD BE USED MORE
Seiga: Evil, evil hermit~

Plushy: Satori Komeiji, Cirno, Yamame Kurodani

Satori: I haven't gotten to see you play this character very much, so I can't really say.
Cirno: Yes good.
Yamame: Yes good.

Pirate: Koishi Komeiji, Parsee Mizuhashi, Honjou Shiren, Tenshi Hinanawi

Koishi: I think this character could stand to be a little less naive and childish, at least not constantly. I sort of see Koishi as someone who is more or less Satori's equal, but in a different field, if you know what I mean. I think that she could stand to handle responsibility better and be overall more wise.
Parsee: Haven't seen you play her in a while, you should play her more.
Shiren: I've only really seen bits and pieces of this character.
Tenshi: Yes good.

Ayakashi-san: Saigyou Ayakashi, Shou Toramaru, Miyu Shirosawa, Reisen Udongein Inaba, Utsuho Reiuji, Gengetsu, Suwako Moriya

Ayakashi: I haven't seen too terribly much outside of passive actions.
Shou: Ahahaha, yes, good. Fun to tease. >:3
Miyu: Not bad
Reisen: yes good.
Utsuho: I think this character should be slightly more serious. You're very, very close to how I think she should be, she just needs to be a touch more serious.
Gengetsu: I personally think that the moonlight shield thing that she has is a little OP, but...
Suwako: N/A

Charles: Charles Lightmagnus

Charles: I don't really see you do anything.

Grand Admiral Absent (Bai Ze): The Bai Ze, Suiki

Bai Ze: Need to RP more.
Suiki: Need to RP more.

Rosette: Rosette Garand, Akumu Honda, Meira Tanaka

Rosette: Moe-ish, turns into a combat badass somehow should she actually fight.
Akumu: Moe for the most part...
Meira: Good.

Kasen: Kasen Ibara, Tamako, Yume, Nokemona

Kasen: Yes, good.
Tamako: Yes, good.
Yume: Yes good.
Nokemona: N/A

Flarp: Mai, Kosuke, Hong Meiling

Mai: N/A
Kosuke: N/A
Meiling: yes good.

Shinki: Shinki-no-Mikoto

Shinki: She seems...too kawaii waifu.

GiasWitch: Rumia

Rumia: RP MORE DARN IT

Dormouse: Nazrin, Luna Child, Soga no Tojiko

Nazrin: Good.
Luna: N/A
Tojiko: Yes, good.

Setvilioux: Rika, Yuki, Amaya Kuroku

N/A

Guilty: Tashiro Tsukatani

Tashiro: Play this character more before making additional characters.

Nazeo: Nazeo Aelko Nezen, Kotohime, Lily White

N/A
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:52 pm

I've actually gotten about 4 RPs done with Yoshika. The problem I have with being able to play her is, of course, I require actually having a Seiga Kaku online to play with...
I've actually been trying to get another RP with the two done but there's never enough people who are on/can roleplay when Miko and I are around.

Are you guys defending your play because you think my post is an insult? That sure is a lot of defensive text to read for an attempt at criticism
(Although insinuating I play Yoshika just to do that pun actually is a bit insulting)
Marisa ☆ Yoshika ☆ Kogasa
Azami Zatsusei ☆ Hikari Kazeka ☆ Jade Suishohi ☆ Kioku Danpen
Tama
Marine

Postby Marine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I didn't quite take it as an insult, I'm just defending my characters against your statements and giving explanation. (e.g. you saying that Sakuya should be "nicer", and my explanation of why that would be silly) Criticism and feedback isn't a one-way road -- this is a discussion thread, not a "people come in and say things and the writers of those characters don't get to respond" thread. ;)
Nazeo
Hosting Provider
Hosting Provider

Postby Nazeo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Yo!

It seems that we are heading into flamewar territory, so let's steer this ship around!
The emphasize should be in these critical aspects.

1. How the character is portrayed in canon and how far you can use headcanon to complement the canoncity. The character's headcanon must be connected back to the source material; if it veers too far away from it, it loses relevancy ( and becomes more OCish in nature. )
2. Play style almost does not matter. What matters if it stays within setting. If a character started to speak in a Welsh accent, then yes, your play style has in fact broke setting.
3. Take the criticism! It should be more about taking the advice you can see helping you out and going on ahead and applying it to your character. If you don't agree with it, then don't take said advice. Remember, there is always something you can do better and therefore there shall be always criticism.
4. When critiquing, be sure to explain thoroughly why you feel a character has moved too much into OOC territory. In addition, make sure to add in how the person you are critiquing can improve in. Nothing sucks more than being told what was wrong with your person and not knowing how to because they never told you.

So this time around I'm hoping to see the magic going; gogogogogogo~

( Also Firefluff, I play Elly too! )
Marine

Postby Marine » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:37 pm

If a character started to speak in a Welsh accent, then yes, your play style has in fact broke setting.

But what if they're from Wales? Patchouli is from Britain and has an accent, Sakuya has a mixed British-French accent, and so on and so forth. ;)
Setting can be difficult to manage, given logical headcanons for a character and their backstory. I think it's a manner of balancing those things with setting and the basic information laid out for the character in question.

Return to “General Discussion”