Grand EoP Enhancement Project (GEEP)

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Grand EoP Enhancement Project (GEEP)

Postby cxl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Today, I am pleased to unveil the Grand EoP Enhancement Project (GEEP). Not only does it have a funny name, but will hopefully A) Make this place a bit more active, but also B) Leave people with less idle time to go off and cause trouble.

So, what is... The GEEP?
Simply put, The GEEP is a community-wide effort to get this place running as it should be - that is, with a lot of RP, a generally sensible community, meaningful conversations, no stupid, as little raaring as possible, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Less simply put, it is a multi-pronged approach to generally improve the state of the community, prepare for and encourage future growth, avoid the annoying incidents of the past, improve notability, presence, and conversion rates, all the while involving as many people as possible and helping to establish a feeling of mutual cooperation between the members of this community, by giving everyone a chance to be productive and proactive in making our EoP a better place.

How do we do... The GEEP?
There are three main approaches to The GEEP, these being the three key issues that have been identified in this community thus far. All of these things, all of them good candidates for improvement, and all of them capable of easily being summed up in a wonderfully middle-management-esque series of bullet points. They are:
  • Presentation
  • Participation
  • Presence
So what do these buzzwordy terms mean? WELL! I WILL TELL YOU!

Presentation: This is, in broad terms, how EoP looks to someone who stumbles across it via whatever means through which they've come to hear about it. The key issue here, is simply that there's no single, easily-digestible source of information for newbies to start with, so they'd need to either A) Trawl through the entire wiki, or B) Get on IRC and ask painfully obvious questions. There's also the matter of the RP canon being rather spotty in places, and a lot of information still being missing, or undeveloped, etc. etc. So this is clearly something that needs to be fixed - first impressions count, and we want to give people a good place to start from; ease them into the boiling oil, so to speak.

Participation: This is a simple one, isn't it? Most of the work is currently being done by the admins, and as the admins also want to RP and chat, it means that things take a long time to get done. At the same time, a lot of people are left feeling left out, as they can't do much but wait for the admins to clarify something or put up a wiki page or forum post to explain some topic. This is really sad and needs to be addressed as soon as possible - hopefully, The GEEP can be a first step towards making everyone a valuable contributor.

Presence: Really, this could also have been called "PR" - it's the whole going out into places and letting people who might be interested know about EoP, so that they can come here, check it out for themselves, and if it looks like something they might enjoy, become a part of the often-chaotic experience.

All three of these points need to be addressed in some manner, and while I have some ideas at this point, I don't have all of them. Hence this very post: Not only am I declaring intent - in this case, intent to make this place better, but I am also asking for assistance, from the entire community, in making this take place.

"So... What's my job in... The GEEP?"
Really? What do you want it to be?

At this early stage, nothing has been decided and no roles have been given, so really, we need 1 "Everyone" to attend to 1 "Everything".

Ideally, we can use this thread to sort things out and get organised - if you think you can help with something, let me know. If you want to help but don't know what to do, speak up! We'll find tasks for people as tasks become apparent, and hopefully, through a system of divide and conquer, we'll polish EoP until it gleams.
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

GEEP Tasklist

Postby cxl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

At the moment, there are a few things that I can already see will need doing:

Wiki Cleanup
This is going to involve things like writing guides, organising pages, deleting or editing things that need to be deleted or edited, etc. etc. If nothing else, it's not going to be easy looking through the several-hundred pages on the wiki and determining what needs to be done to what, so that's our first job here.

Guides: This point is still to be discussed.

Organisation/Deleting/Editing: In general, if you see a page that needs deleting, then list it on my talk page and I'll nuke it as soon as I get the chance. If you feel a page needs to be re-categorised or something, then go ahead and make the edit! If we later decide it needs to be changed again, we'll edit it again! If you feel a page needs editing or repair or renovation, then use the talk page and try to get an outline or plan going regarding what needs to be done.
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Grand EoP Enhancement Project (GEEP)

Postby cxl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 pm

(( Reserved. ))
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 pm

You should probably change the help links in the sidebar to redirect to your page, since Nazeo is Away From Computer, and since your username is ridiculous and therefore hard to get to.
Marisa ☆ Yoshika ☆ Kogasa
Azami Zatsusei ☆ Hikari Kazeka ☆ Jade Suishohi ☆ Kioku Danpen
Tama
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:46 pm

http://rp.edgeofperspective.net/Special:LonelyPages

Somewhat obvious that most of the pages in this category need something done with them so that people can actually find them bar using the search bar.
Tama
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Postby cxl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:58 am

I've fixed the help link, and deleted some of the pages that were requested on my talk. Before I delete On_OCs && On_Creating_Believable_Characters, I'm just going to wait for someone to go over them and merge any relevant information into "On Characters". As for Purgatory, well, I'm thinking redesign to serve as the dead-characters' graveyard, perhaps?
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:34 am

cxl wrote:I've fixed the help link, and deleted some of the pages that were requested on my talk. Before I delete On_OCs && On_Creating_Believable_Characters, I'm just going to wait for someone to go over them and merge any relevant information into "On Characters". As for Purgatory, well, I'm thinking redesign to serve as the dead-characters' graveyard, perhaps?

I guess I'll try and see what I can do about the former.

The latter though, is something I think your character guides already cover: Character death doesn't really end their use (at least, immediately), since it gives the chance for The Yama and Komachi to do some work, plus whoever else gets to deal with them after that, possibly.
Tama
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm

There are a number of OCs of people who left (eg Gennai Aibu) that should probably be rounded up and archived (moved to Purgatory?) or deleted.
Tama
NekomimiRex
Dìxiān
Dìxiān

Postby NekomimiRex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:34 pm

We need a general page for character professions.
Tama
Ayakashi-san
Militia Officer
Militia Officer

Postby Ayakashi-san » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 am

I will be currently working on the Suwako page and maybe, offering some assistance to people that kinda have issues with Wiki Markup code... if I am here when they're present yes.

As for the professions... is it really something that important? I mean, "jobs" aren't really a defining part of what our canon is. Or so I think. It's more like an additional info that can give you a vague idea of what someone does -- there is no need for a special article imo.
Signature? What is this you speak of?

Return to “General Discussion”