One whole year...

This is the general community talk forum.
If you have anything to discuss regarding the Edge of Perspective roleplay, then please post it here.

Moderators: Patches, Nazeo, Moderators

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

One whole year...

Postby cxl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 am

Of silliness, shenanigans, raaring, and arpee.

I should probably make a speech or something, but, well, kind'a bad at that. So instead, I'll tell a little story.

Just over a year ago, I was told by the Bai Ze about these people doing a Touhou RP on youtube. After a good long laugh at the notion of "Roleplay... on Youtube?!", he suggested that I go and poke at it, which I then did. I saw a bunch of people trying to deal with a troll.

So I thought I'd give 'em some advice and be on my way, but just for the heck of it, I decided to drop in on one of their RPs and poke around a bit - I didn't have anything else to do. Then of course, some nutter went off and made an IRC channel. After much rolling of eyes, I decided to go and kill some time there.

Well, things happened. I went from being the odd person under the strange name to being one of the admins and co-owners of a rapidly snowballing community that wasn't quite sure where it was going. People like to heap praise on me for what I did, but the truth, as I often remind people, was that I didn't do all that much. If I did anything, it was making it possible for the community to create the kind of place it wanted for itself.

To this end, I was sometimes harsh, often incredibly so; sometimes confusing, often amazingly so; and every so often, sort of nice, or at least I tried to be, even though I'm bad at that.

The end result is today's EoP - a rather odd thing based on Touhou and including all manner of mythology and oddity, that strives for quality, that produces far too much text to be healthy, that probably, and thankfully, takes itself just seriously enough without being too serious.

;-)

Most importantly, I feel, is that it's not "my" EoP, or "anyone's" EoP - it belongs to everyone here. It continues to exist and grow because people are willing to put in the time and the effort to pretending to be Youkai (or other things; sometimes even other people) on the internet.

Sure, there's been difficulties, there's been arguments, there's been whole lots of >:C - we've dealt with trolls and idiots, self-inserts and rabid fanon, other communities, and ourselves. But I think that, at the end of the day, these things are responsible for making EoP the thing it is today. I'd like to think we've all learned something this past year, and I for one am looking forward to learning a whole lot more in the year to come.

So well done, EoP.

And well done, everyone.

It's a community.

And now, let me leave you with this parting thought, in fact, a quote from one of our members: <SunkenPirate> we need to arpee more

Oh bugger I ended up making a speech anyway...
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
flarp22
Magician
Magician

Re: One whole year...

Postby flarp22 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:18 am

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful...here's to another year!
Setvilioux
Militia Officer
Militia Officer

Re: One whole year...

Postby Setvilioux » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am

Let's make it two years, folks.
Rika - Yuki - Amaya Kuroku - Scamallach Niwl

Return to “General Discussion”