Acecipher: Bob of Ravenna | OC

This is where completed / rejected / abandoned character applications will be kept, for reference purposes. If your thread has been moved here and you feel this was an error, please contact one of the moderators for assistance.

Moderators: Patches, Moderators

acecipher
New Arrival
New Arrival

Acecipher: Bob of Ravenna | OC

Postby acecipher » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:19 am

Name: Robert the Ostrogoth and Royal Scribe Of Ravenna (Bob of Ravenna for short)
Species: Human Magician/Meat Puppet

History:
Bob of Ravenna was a man who was driven by a purpose in life greater than himself: To learn, transcribe, and preserve the totality of man's knoweldge. During the time of his youth, he became an advisor to the young Theoderic the Great, whose standing with the Eastern Roman Empire, as well as his eventual conquest of much of Italy, let him have free reign to record and preserve the knowledge of the ancients--a feat much championed by the imperial ruler. He gained much status and prestige as he commanded a vast knowledge of history, geometry, theology and all manners of natural science.

However, age waits upon no man, and eventually Robert felt the tidings of the elderly begin to sneak up upon him. Having only read one-fifth of the libraries of the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, whom he had in some part aided in collecting in order to gain access to the collection, he found he could not go quietly into the dark night awaiting man at the end of their life. At the age of fifty he set out to evade the icy grips of death.

Risking damnation and expulsion from the academic circles he had helped found, he looked into ways to extend his life. Ultimately, in the foothills of what is now Hungary, he found an old, wizened wizard skilled in the arts of compulsory curses; in short, a geas. Bob had come to this poor ramshackle hut to be cursed to fulfill his purpose in life by one of the most skilled magicians in all the land. After much laughing, odd looks, attempted explanations of how foolish this is, jokes, bad jokes to try to make him go away, and eventual outright pleading to remove himself from the wizard's presence, the poor old man finally assented (of course, after Bob had served him as a house servant for the past twenty years). So, as Bob celebrated his seventieth birthday at the Wizard's bedside, he learned the art of applying Geases to the soul, binding and cursing it to roam this earth until its goal could be accomplished.

He immediately set out upon a tour of the known world, having a good deal of time to finish reading the library he had constructed. His first stop was in Egypt, to consult the extensive knowledge of bodily preservation therein and establish good relations with the Library of Alexandria. After this brief detour to ensure his bodily stability throughout the ages, he set forth to go down to Iberia before fleeing at the hordes of Muslim invaders, before heading up to Brittainy until right before the millennium, upon which he visited the Prussian holdings and set up his home for the next three hundred years. Upon convincing the Khans of the Golden Horde to allow him travel under their name for the purposes of study, he began a journey into Asia, before being held prisoner in the Song Dynasty for ninety years upon charges of espionage, until no one could remember his name nor why he had been imprisoned.Upon being let go in 1508, he returned with a caravan to an Italy he no longer recognized, but one he was glad to see was a center of learning and trade. He tried to settle back in his homeland, but found it rife with conflict in the Italian wars of 1509. He fled east to the court of Spain, before having to flee the country for the court of Savoy as a consequence of untimely remarks about the War of Spanish Succession. There he stayed for until 1581, whereupon he sought out refuge and study in neighboring France before traveling over the channel to England after throwing his lot in with the Huguenots. He took a good two hundred years touring many of the cities of the England before moving to Scotland in the early 1700s, helping establish the burgeoning universities there, before travelling to Germany, and from there, Austria, in 1753, before tiring by the end of two decades and heading into the Ottoman Empire to study and learn of what had transpired in his three hundred years' absence from the Asian continent.

It was his great misfortune to be captured by Russia in the Crimean War, for he was quickly funneled into the labor camp system, whereby he met the Decembrists, and helped them in forming the intellectual capital of Siberia in Irkutsk. He stayed there for until the Russian Revolution, studying what he could of China through the Russian Far East trade, once sneaking along in a caravan to travel into the country himself. This was certainly a golden age for him, living in the fairly spartan conditions that were reminiscent of his youth.

Sadly, he was caught up in the Russian Revolution, being confused for a White Russian with his academic and intellectual pursuits, and sent off to labor in the Gulag camps. A continuous, repeated clerical error had him moved around various prisons for half a century (a time in which he did numerous ethnographies of various Siberian peoples, having learned the techniques from numerous other intelligentsia convicts, and become familiar with the tenets of modern science. However, he was released in 1962 as the Soviet regime slowly tried to wind down its involvement with the Labor camps. After travelling to East Germany and sneaking around the wall, he was taken in by some former friends in Germany, before eventually travelling to a mystical land he had been hearing about for the past few centuries: that of America.

After having outlived the novelty of this new, storied land and finding Canada not much different, he returned to the United Kingdom, finding work as a strategic consultant to numerous think tanks, renowned for his knowledge of Siberian affairs and geography, along having an uncanny ability to trace back modern-day problems to far-ancient disputes. Due to his current occupation, he is allowed great leeway with regards to travel, and usually can bargain his way into libraries on obscure research tasks.

Personality:
Bob is old, gruff, and hard of hearing. His sole focus in life has not changed over the millenia, and he still seeks to learn and document all the collected knowledge of the human race. This, his great work, he peruses with an undying passion (for he is, indeed, extending his life in order to thus finish this work). As such, he often comes off as rude, snobbish, unwilling to listen to authority, out-of-touch, even histrionic (an insult he often mistakes for a compliment, not understanding that its meaning is separate from "One who knows much history"). However, he is incredibly willing to help others in order to further their own intellectual development, which he sees as the height of human development.

He is devoutly Christian (still) and attends church (preferably one of the Oriental Orthodox churches), and while he has fundamental differences with other religions, is nonetheless tolerant of them, and hopes the other beings and spirits he meets along his travels may one day find the glory of the Creator and true salvation.

Whatever the situation is, he is always highly analytical and seeking to learn from his experiences. As such, he enjoys games that attempt to model or simulate the world, and can possibly be taken as learning opportunities.

Powers:
-Most importantly, the ability to extend one's life in pursuit of a goal by means of a curse, thusly having turned his body into a nearly zombie-like state: a physical corpse with a soul attached.
-The strength of three bears (relative) from fifty years of hard labor in Siberia
-Extensive knowledge of History
-Lack of need for food or rest, though he often chooses to seek sustenance if it is possible for him.

Relationships
Major:
- The Hansa: after having established good relations around the 1700s in his pursuit of knowledge, having freely shared such knowledge previously.
- The RSA: He generally seeks to be on good terms with the magicians of his adopted homeland so as to have the best possible access to any of their libraries.

Minor:

Trivia / Notes / Other:
Last edited by acecipher on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Location: If you know, then it is likely that I know where you are.

Re: Acecipher: Bob of Ravenna | OC

Postby Dryhavich » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:30 am

First off, I'm really glad that you are being creative and made a character who can interact with the factions in RP. Major points for classical, religious, and historical accuracy! I've been waiting for someone to up and make a character from the influence of the Roman Empire. Your attention to detail with history is very good, and if I'm not wrong, Robert the Ostrogoth will be our first Christian character of any sort in the RP.

Risking damnation and expulsion from the academic circles he had helped found, he looked into ways to extend his life. Ultimately, in the foothills of what is now Hungary, he found an old, wizened wizard skilled in the arts of compulsory curses; in short, a geas. Bob had come to this poor ramshackle hut to be cursed to fulfill his purpose in life by one of the most skilled magicians in all the land. After much laughing, odd looks, attempted explanations of how foolish this is, jokes, bad jokes to try to make him go away, and eventual outright pleading to remove himself from the wizard's presence, the poor old man finally assented in return for the care Bob had given him as a house servant for the past twenty years. So, as Bob celebrated his seventieth birthday at the Wizard's bedside, he learned the art of applying Geases to the soul, binding and cursing it to roam this earth until its goal could be accomplished.

The time transition in this paragraph is a bit strange. You first mention that Bob arrived at the old wizard's hut and was assaulted with jokes and odd looks, but to me, it seemed at first as if he did not stay there very long. Then, you rather abruptly mention that he served the old man as a servant for twenty years, a not insignificant amount of time. Could you change the wording here to make it clearer that he spent a long time at this man's house? Did he serve him just so he could receive the secrets of geas?

He immediately set out upon a tour of the known world, having a good deal of time to finish reading the library he had constructed.

When did he accomplish the building of this library? This seems very abrupt, too. Did he do this while serving the wizard? You should put some context in there before you add these things, since they sound quite confusing. Otherwise, your backstory connects well.

I see no issue with using geas to extend one's life, (unless cxl has something to say about it, because he knows more about Irish mythology than me) but I would assume that there would be a limit to how long he could do this. His body must be rotting and deteriorating by now unless he received some help from other mages. Is this what you mean by a zombie-like state?

Overall, you have a good app, though I'd like you to consider the aforementioned edits.
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
acecipher
New Arrival
New Arrival

Postby acecipher » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Ah, well, good to know that the app is mostly okay.

I can understand the one issue, as it's a terrible trait of mine to, upon a whim, write creatively. The paragraph in question is indeed meant to demonstrate a willingness of the wizard to try to fend off Bob quickly, and the jump in time, as abrupt and shocking as it is, is meant to show that, by his sheer ignorant determination and willingness to be an errand boy, he was able to stay and earn the noble's favor.

The library in question is the church library that he had assembled in his first fifty years of life as a scribe and scholar in Ravenna. See: " Having only read one-fifth of the libraries of the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, whom he had in some part aided in collecting in order to gain access to the collection, he found he could not go quietly into the dark night awaiting man at the end of their life."

As to the issue of preservation I should have something prepared to get on that issue; it struck me after I finished his application that decomposition may be an issue.

I'll work out things over the next few days; tonight I'm feeling a bit tired, but thank you for the feedback.
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis

Postby Dryhavich » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 am

acecipher wrote:Ah, well, good to know that the app is mostly okay.

I can understand the one issue, as it's a terrible trait of mine to, upon a whim, write creatively. The paragraph in question is indeed meant to demonstrate a willingness of the wizard to try to fend off Bob quickly, and the jump in time, as abrupt and shocking as it is, is meant to show that, by his sheer ignorant determination and willingness to be an errand boy, he was able to stay and earn the noble's favor.

The library in question is the church library that he had assembled in his first fifty years of life as a scribe and scholar in Ravenna. See: " Having only read one-fifth of the libraries of the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, whom he had in some part aided in collecting in order to gain access to the collection, he found he could not go quietly into the dark night awaiting man at the end of their life."

As to the issue of preservation I should have something prepared to get on that issue; it struck me after I finished his application that decomposition may be an issue.

I'll work out things over the next few days; tonight I'm feeling a bit tired, but thank you for the feedback.

Ah, yes. It did sound somewhat strange to call it "his" library, though, would you not agree?

After re-reading what Oakeshott had to say about the coalescing of Roman and Gothic culture in antiquity, I can't say that I'm not positively biased about your character. Anyways, it looks like you've made a couple well-considered edits here and there.

His first stop was in Egypt, to consult the extensive knowledge of bodily preservation therein and establish good relations with the Library of Alexandria. After this brief detour to ensure his bodily stability throughout the ages,

Sorry if I'm becoming senile early or something, but is this new? Sorry, I've been a poor moderator/admin and haven't looked at this until yesterday. This sounds fine for tackling the issue of deterioration.

Are you finished with your app? If so, I'll slap the "approved" stamp on it.
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
acecipher
New Arrival
New Arrival

Postby acecipher » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 am

Dryhavich wrote:

Ah, yes. It did sound somewhat strange to call it "his" library, though, would you not agree?

After re-reading what Oakeshott had to say about the coalescing of Roman and Gothic culture in antiquity, I can't say that I'm not positively biased about your character. Anyways, it looks like you've made a couple well-considered edits here and there.

EDIT: Being the oldest part of his character, his Gothic heritage is meant mostly as flavor; his long stay in Russia, and his long life in the world after the Roman Empire, has led him away from the person as he was in his 'youth;' now, he is a product of many different, awkwardly amalgamated, time periods, and has certainly passed the point at which he can readily keep up with cultural and technological change (Especially after being stuck in the Soviet Union prison system).

I can understand its strangeness; it is instead meant to convey a sense that Bob had, at this stage, dreams of grandeur, and still has a tendancy to take all the credit for actions he took part in (For instance: he will accept any and all praise about the educational reforms brought about by the Decembrists in Siberia, even those nowhere near he was), as he confuses his sense of belonging with a sense of ownership. I can find some better way to phrase this.

I'm not familliar with Oakeshott, though am aware that the Goths and Romans were culturally mixing into a hybrid of the two cultures, and that the large distinguishing barrier at the time was the Arian beliefs of the Goths and some language barriers (but it does seem that during this period bilingualism was promoted, probably bridging at least that gap and only leaving what I've come to believe is a mostly symbolic religious gap). I am perhaps being anchored by reading sources on the "Barbarian" education (sex and parties) that some of the Goths took upon themselves to give their later kings (This being written by a pro-Roman Goth or Roman, I forget which at the moment, thusly biasing me to the differences between the cultures. Ah, how those blaming others for a happening are quick to promote themselves as the civilized alternative).

Though I am not familliar with Oakeshott, I am more than happy to read whatever your source is. Education is always welcome!

His first stop was in Egypt, to consult the extensive knowledge of bodily preservation therein and establish good relations with the Library of Alexandria. After this brief detour to ensure his bodily stability throughout the ages,

Sorry if I'm becoming senile early or something, but is this new? Sorry, I've been a poor moderator/admin and haven't looked at this until yesterday. This sounds fine for tackling the issue of deterioration.

This is new, and meant to handle the issue of deterioration. I should be done save for minor edits to be more in line with the Goth-Roman societal merging (something I must readily admit I am not an expert on, but am interested in, and made this character to have a reason to explore that culture and time further).

Huzzah!
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis

Postby Dryhavich » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 pm

acecipher wrote:
Dryhavich wrote:

EDIT: Being the oldest part of his character, his Gothic heritage is meant mostly as flavor; his long stay in Russia, and his long life in the world after the Roman Empire, has led him away from the person as he was in his 'youth;' now, he is a product of many different, awkwardly amalgamated, time periods, and has certainly passed the point at which he can readily keep up with cultural and technological change (Especially after being stuck in the Soviet Union prison system).

I can understand its strangeness; it is instead meant to convey a sense that Bob had, at this stage, dreams of grandeur, and still has a tendancy to take all the credit for actions he took part in (For instance: he will accept any and all praise about the educational reforms brought about by the Decembrists in Siberia, even those nowhere near he was), as he confuses his sense of belonging with a sense of ownership. I can find some better way to phrase this.

I'm not familliar with Oakeshott, though am aware that the Goths and Romans were culturally mixing into a hybrid of the two cultures, and that the large distinguishing barrier at the time was the Arian beliefs of the Goths and some language barriers (but it does seem that during this period bilingualism was promoted, probably bridging at least that gap and only leaving what I've come to believe is a mostly symbolic religious gap). I am perhaps being anchored by reading sources on the "Barbarian" education (sex and parties) that some of the Goths took upon themselves to give their later kings (This being written by a pro-Roman Goth or Roman, I forget which at the moment, thusly biasing me to the differences between the cultures. Ah, how those blaming others for a happening are quick to promote themselves as the civilized alternative).

Though I am not familliar with Oakeshott, I am more than happy to read whatever your source is. Education is always welcome!

This is new, and meant to handle the issue of deterioration. I should be done save for minor edits to be more in line with the Goth-Roman societal merging (something I must readily admit I am not an expert on, but am interested in, and made this character to have a reason to explore that culture and time further).

Huzzah!

Yes, I too am familiar with the nontrinitarian Arianism that the Goths professed. Bob was clearly born after Theodosian reforms, though, which definitely coincides with his current adherence to Eastern Orthodoxy.

If you're interested, Oakeshott was a scholar in ancient and medieval archaeology and classical history. He wrote the book The Archaeology of Weapons, in which he delves as much into the cultural situation of medieval/classical Europe as he does regarding weapons of war. He isn't the only historian who talks about Romano-Gothic culture, and certainly not in the greatest detail, but his text is worth several looks.

Good job!

Approved!
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
acecipher
New Arrival
New Arrival

Postby acecipher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:33 am

Dryhavich wrote:
Yes, I too am familiar with the nontrinitarian Arianism that the Goths professed. Bob was clearly born after Theodosian reforms, though, which definitely coincides with his current adherence to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Ah, well, as to the Arianism, that would be due to Gothic Christianity being implanted during the heydey of Arianism in the mid-4th Century, and the Goths only later invading and conquering the Western Empire, thusly creating a parallel set of religious kingdoms until about the 7th Century.

People migrating makes things complicated; it's something I'm quite fascinated with. The Turks and Bulgarians have recently piqued my interest but I haven't had much time to look into them.
Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis

Postby Dryhavich » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 pm

acecipher wrote:
Dryhavich wrote:

Ah, well, as to the Arianism, that would be due to Gothic Christianity being implanted during the heydey of Arianism in the mid-4th Century, and the Goths only later invading and conquering the Western Empire, thusly creating a parallel set of religious kingdoms until about the 7th Century.

People migrating makes things complicated; it's something I'm quite fascinated with. The Turks and Bulgarians have recently piqued my interest but I haven't had much time to look into them.

*history derp on my part*

/me needs to remember that the Goths stayed Arian until the Frankish kingdom absorbed/conquered them.

I agree - migrations are fascinating! Europe during that time was rife with population replacement and cultural diffusion. You should definitely read Oakeshott if you're interested in the Migration Era. As for the Turks and Bulgarians, there is more scholarship on them in Russian or other Slavic languages than in English, unfortunately.
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76

Return to “Archive”