Introduction to the Character Workshop! [Please read.]

This is where completed / rejected / abandoned character applications will be kept, for reference purposes. If your thread has been moved here and you feel this was an error, please contact one of the moderators for assistance.

Moderators: Patches, Moderators

Marine

Introduction to the Character Workshop! [Please read.]

Postby Marine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am

This is the Character Workshop! If it was not already obvious, this is where you post your ongoing Work-In-Progress character bios. You can work them out, piece them together, and get things done for your character!

However, before you start, I would like a very clean way to sort things.
When you make a topic, put the topic in this format:

(Your username): (Character) | (Canon or OC?)

Yes, that includes the | divider, too. Dividers are important and make things look good, and if you don't understand that, I don't know what you do understand.
Either way, yes, this can act as a place to work on fleshing out a canon character. While they do start out with things to work off of, such as their species, age, and general personality, it is up to you, and you alone, to fill in the gaps!

After you get that title done, I would recommend putting down a "character skeleton" to fill out so you can keep everything tidy while you work on your character.

Here is an example that you are free to use: (If you don't know how to copy and paste, I'm afraid that I can not help you.)

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Species:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Powers:[/b]

[b]Relationships[/b]
[u]Major:[/u]
- (Character)
- (Character)

[u]Minor:[/u]
- (Character)
- (Character)

[b]Trivia / Notes / Other:[/b]

That wasn't so hard, now, was it?
It's simple, but it encompasses a lot. Any details about your character that you want to remember should be written down at the very bottom, although that's just as much a place to put notes as it is to put random facts and tidbits of trivia!

Now that you have a character skeleton and you're ready to fill it out -- by all means, get on to work. I would recommend posting a suitable image of your character at the very top, or perhaps to the right if you know how to align things like so, but keep in mind the size of the image and how it may stretch the page for some people. (And for heaven's sake, don't spam images, that's an eyesore!)

Once you have finished your rough draft of your character, take a good look at it and think about what you can improve or fix to make better. Is the backstory cliche by your standards? Mix it up a bit with some twists you find interesting! Put some thought into your character's powers and relationships.. and if it's a canon, think about the character and try and develop some neat headcanons to apply to them.
Go back and fix any errors in grammar or spelling or capitalization, and the like.

After you have done this, edit the Subject of your post to include "[First Draft]" at the end. This will be a sure signal for me to come and inspect the post and your character. (Or you can just PM me and tell me where I need to go. That works just as effectively.)

I will look over everything, and I will post a reply with my comments.
When I do this, take a good look at what I wrote for you, and perhaps take it into mind as you look over everything again. If I point out that there's a plot hole in one place or another, inspect things more thoroughly so that you can fix it up. If there's a relationship with a character that clashes against that character's own relationships, then be sure to look that up and fix accordingly.

ALSO: I would really like it if we not use wiki pages as apps. It's a bother. Stop doing that please. :c Really, though, try and stick to the format here, it's neater and fits in and makes my life a lot easier.

Lastly, here, there is really no such thing as a "Final Draft" for a character post. Things are always in motion, being edited and tweaked and moved along. If a significant change is made to a character's history, powers or personality that is worth being re-reviewed, add [Update!] to the end of the subject for your topic, or something like that, to signal that you have made a change.

And I believe that's it. If there are any questions or concerns about this process, please leave a post here, and it shall be addressed.
(Complaints will be rejected, and the person who filed them will be directed to the basement of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.)

Return to “Archive”