Help! I'm banned! What do I do?! (Read if you get banned)

This is the place to talk about Edge of Perspective itself - our goals, plans, and the people who make them possible

Moderators: null, Nazeo, Moderators

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Help! I'm banned! What do I do?! (Read if you get banned)

Postby cxl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:07 pm

So, you've gotten yourself banned?

Well, I have bad news, and I have good news.

The bad news is that this is probably your fault - you did something wrong, or you've pushed too many of the wrong buttons, or you took something too far - this is something that YOU did and now YOU have to own up to it.

This is an important point, and you would do best to pay attention to it - whining about being banned, or begging to be unbanned, WON'T get you unbanned. It will just make people >:C at you and more likely to keep you banned. Start by ADMITTING that you screwed up, and work to change your attitude before you expect other people to change theirs.

The good news is that all is most probably not lost, and there's still hope for you if you pay attention to what's being said here and try to learn something from the whole experience.

If you're banned from the RP, see here.

If you're banned from any of the official talk channels on the general server see here.

If you're completely banned, well... see here.
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

So you're banned from the RP?

Postby cxl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Right, well, this is the most likely problem you'll encounter not so likely any longer, as EoP has settled the fuck down and now we no longer need to keep an itchy trigger finger on the banhammer (it's a complex mechanism, okay?), so chances are you'll only get banned if you're repeatedly acting like a tool or successfully antagonising the right people (i.e. ops, mods, etc. the usual suspects). Now, this MIGHT not be entirely your fault, so we do have an appeals process in case you were drunk / your account totally got hacked / you're actually sorry for being a jackass / you've been impersonated by lizard-men, etc.

The way to go about fixing this problem is to post in our ban-appeals subforum, here - the reason you were banned would have been made clear to you before the ban itself, but if there's any confusion then PM either myself or null and ask.

Now (srs bsns), before you run off to make an appeal, take a moment to consider what you're going to say, and if you are sure you're ready - i.e. you've fixed whatever was the reason for your ban in the first place. Running there an hour after your ban was placed screaming "OMG OMG OMG UNBAN ME PLZ PLZ IM VERY SORRY K K K K K!?!?!?" is likely NOT to get your ban lifted, and a bad or unconvincing appeal can in fact hurt your chances of getting unbanned.

Understand that this isn't to be mean - it's because we hear a lot of excuses and half-hearted apologies from people and truth be told it's made us a bit jaded when it comes to this are assholes (most probably). So take your time and make your case PROPERLY (basically just be level-headed and not a piece of shit, okay?)
cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

So you're completely banned?

Postby cxl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Well, now you've really done goofed, because there are only three things you could have done to get banned from the general server. Either you've:
  • Done something illegal.
  • Broken one of the major server rules. (i.e. been a jackass after being told not to)
  • Harassed enough of the community for there to be an official complaint against you. lul
  • Tried to counter the Mk 1 Banhammer with e-thuggery or other stupid faffing.

Chances are pretty good that this has gotten you banned from the forums as well.
Really, there's very little you can do about this - you've basically sunken every ship, burned every bridge, and completely ruined yourself here.

The best thing you can do is likely to just get on with your life and not worry about it. It's just one online community and hopefully you can learn something from the whole ordeal. And if not, you can always tell the story of the asshole moderator wot that banned you from his website and chatroom - because y'know, srs bsns.

Return to “Edge of Perspective”